Kevin Hart will no longer be hosting the 91st Academy Awards. His decision comes shortly after the 39-year-old refused to apologize for homophobic tweets and comments he made in the past. Hart announced the news via Twitter on Thursday night (December 6), offering an “I’m sorry” to anyone from the LGBTQ community he’s offended.
“I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s….this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists,” he tweeted. “I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.”
Hart continued, “I’m sorry that I hurt people.. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”
When the comedic actor was announced as the next Oscars host earlier this week, his old comments quickly came back to haunt him. One comment in particular came from Hart’s comedy 2010 special, Seriously Funny.
“One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay. That’s a fear,” he said. “Keep in mind, I’m not homophobic. Be happy. Do what you want to do. But me, as a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will.”
Hart addressed the controversy in an Instagram video but didn’t issue an apology at that time.
“If u want to search my history or past and anger yourselves with what u find that is fine with me,” he said in the clip. “I’m almost 40 years old and I’m in love with the man that I am becoming. You LIVE and YOU LEARN & YOU GROW & YOU MATURE.”
The 91st Academy Awards is scheduled for February 24 2019. An alternate host hasn’t been announced as of publication time.